There are currently 0 users online.
A man named ‘lantern’ finds a buried treasure, and with the money builds a church and extends a priesthood. If only all tales of Coptic Orthodox churches were so adventurous. (Some are.)
The village of Qufādah, home of the Virgin Mary and St. Abaskhiroun Church, is about a 30-45 minute drive from Maghāghah, 160 kilometers south of Cairo, in the governorate of Minya.
The narrow streets in Al Zawya Al Hamra are quiet. A donkey pulls a cart, a woman carries fresh bread on her head and some boys are repairing their TukTuk. On such mornings, it is hard to imagine that these same streets once were the stage of tragic fights between Muslim and Christian residents. In june 1981, a conflict escalated dramtically causing a number of deaths and more injuries. Today the people in this poor area live in harmony, but what are the chances of a conflict like this to happen again?
Kased (b. 1931 - ) was with the first groups who came from the North to settle in Al Zawya Al Hamra. Back then the area consisted mainly of agricultural land and the buildings these people built were illegal. The rapidly growing number of inhabitants resulted in densely populated and poor area. Living here for almost sixty years, Kased says the area was always a peaceful place – “The relations between Muslim and Christian people were good, we always lived in good harmony.”
“Respect for children starts with respect among children for each other,” said Herman Kaiser, Mayor of Arnhem during the 10th anniversary of the International Monument for the Unknown Child in the Netherlands on September 28, 2014.
Dr. Farouk Hosni, Minister of Culture of Egypt from 1987 to 2011, donated a 3000 kg granite stone from an ancient quarry near Aswan [Assūan] that had been used by the pharaohs thousands of years before. It couldn’t be more characteristic of Egypt.
Starting a business in the Arab world is already a difficult task; but if you are a woman, operating a business in the Arab world is even more challenging!
72 hours after the terrorist organization Ajnād Masr (Egypt’s Servicemen) announced planting explosive devices near Itihadiyyah Palace, three bombs went off killing two officers and injuring six in the process. The bombings adhered to the exact specifications detailed in Ajnād Masr’s statement. Security footage from the palace shows six terrorists posing as cleaning staff and planting 3-8 explosive devices in the sidewalk between al-Ahrām Street and al-Marghanī street. The bombs went off at 10AM and 12PM respectively, as the officers were trying to diffuse them – owing to their unfortunate deaths. This incident comes one day after the ‘Third Rafah Massacre.’ (Ahmad ‘Abd el-Latīf, al-Watan, Jul. 1, p. 1). Read original text in Arabic.
Last night, army forces conducted a sweeping campaign throughout 20 areas in Rafah and Sheikh Zuyūd to find the perpetrators of the ‘Third Rafah Massacre.’ Four security forces were shot dead by rogue terrorist groups. Sources within the Central Security Forces Organization stressed that there is a cohesive plan between them and the Armed forces to catch the killers, including continuous patrols and sweeping search campaigns in all the internal streets, the likes of which local eyewitnesses claim to have never seen before. In terms of the attack itself, terrorist groups ambushed incoming cars at Bāb Sidūt, closing off the road and forcing them to stop so as to check their personal identification cards. When the four soldiers were identified, they were lined up on the side of the road and shot. All 21 years old, their names are: Muhamad Nasr Isma’īl, Yūsif Ahmad Abū al-Fūa, Muhamad Jamāl Rātib, and Karīm ‘Alī Muhamad Mahmūd. Since the crime, police forces have arrested 29 convicts and two citizens as potential suspects. The citizens’ names are: Sa’īd A. Gh. (42), and Hassan H. A. (39). (Muhamad Maqlad, Khālid al-Amīr, and ‘Abd al-Qādir Mubārak, al-Watan, Jun. 30, p. 6). Read original text in Arabic.
Two anonymous men bombed the telecommunications center of 6th of October yesterday, killing its security guard’s daughter and wife, as well as injuring his son. Further investigation led to the identification that 200 kilograms of explosives were used in the attack, splitting the entire three story, 3500m2, building in half. The security guard said that the two men entered the building pretending to be employees there. ‘Atif Hilmī, Minister of Technology and Telecommunications, issued his condolences to the security guard for the loss of his wife and daughter. (Ahmad ‘Abd al-Latīf, Mahmūd al-Jārhī, Jīhān ‘Abd al-‘Azīz, Muhamad al-Abnūdī, and Hassan Uthmān, al-Watan, Jun. 29, p. 1). Read original text in Arabic.
Twelve members of the Muslim Brotherhood have been arrested by security services over the burning down of a BaptistChurch in Binī Mazār, in Minya. The men were also accused of assaulting public and police buildings in Minya. Two men were also arrested on charges of breaking the law of demonstrations and inciting violence. The events in connection to the arrests took place in August 2013 (‘Alī Husayn, al-Dustūr, Jun. 28, p. 24). Read original text in Arabic here.
Several metro stations were faced with bomb attacks last night, whereby one bomb exploded in Mīdān al-Mahkamah (Court House Square) in Heliopolis. This explosion caused the injury of four people and triggered a state of terror and panic amongst citizens. (Author not mentioned, al-Shurúq al-Jadīd, Jun. 26, p. 1). Read original text in Arabic.
Security forces in Sinai have prepared a program for the observation of groups suspected of affiliation to ISIS and Jabhat al-Nusra (the Nusra Front). Nineteen members of terrorist groups were reportedly killed in a violent battle with the Second Army. The movement of tanks and armored cars had been observed, and following clashes the armed groups retreated to desert areas. This came after the security administration in North Sinai began a campaign to comb certain geographical areas for terrorists (Mustafá Sanjar, al-Shurūq al-Jadīd, Jun. 25, p. 1). Read original text in Arabic here.